The Indie Tasting, an Independent Spirits Showcase, returned to Frankie’s Pizza in Sydney on Sunday 18 September 2016 after a successful event last year.
It is the first show of its kind in AUstralia, exclusively catering to small independent spirits and this year, for the first time was open to the public (when it is normally only open to bartenders).
The Sydney Indie Tasting showcased over 40 suppliers and 120 boutique spirits to both consumers and trade. The tasting will give attendees the chance to try brands that aren’t even on the market, let alone the backbar and bottleshop.
There was also six free masterclasses which were included in the entry fee, which were offered on a first in best dressed.
The brands I sampled included:
- Distillery Botanica – a gin handcrafted in Sydney with handpicked botanicals that give it its distinct flavour
- Del Professore – Vermouth carefully blended with herbs and spices and aged in used oak casks, and amber gins infused with spirits
- Vantage Australia – A spirit made from the finest Australian native flora and spices to create a unique spirit
- Sunset rum – Sparrow’s premium aged rum is from the Caribbean and has been winning gold at the World Rum Awards
- Mozarts Chocolate Liqueurs – Chocolate liqueur that comes in four flavours: chocolate cream, white chocolate vanilla cream, dark chocolate and chocolate vodka
- The Irishman – Whiskey produced in Ireland since 1870 by the Walsh Clan, the largest clan in Ireland.
- Elephant Gin – An award-winning premium gin of 45 percent alcohol and made from rare African botanicals
- Mezcal – Mezcal showcased a few new spirits including Mezcal Gin, Mezcal Eterno (Joven and Anejo) and Mezcal Burrito Fiestero. The well established Mezcal Amores and Mezcal Extinto were also available for tasting.
Indie Tasting Sydney
Sunday, 18 September, 12pm – 5pm
Frankie’s Pizza, 50 Hunter St, Sydney, NSW 2000
Tickets: $40 online, $50 on door (pending availability).